LIP destroyed xxx active commands

Tom Samplonius tom at uniserve.com
Tue Apr 11 03:15:06 UTC 2006

>>> This host has it's isp device directly connected to a fiber channel array.
>>
>>   Probably should use point-to-point mode instead.  See if you can change
>> the port type on the array controller.
>
> Ok - I can do that.  If I do that, will that disrupt filesystem activity?

   You will probably have to reboot, actually.  The isp driver will probably get
confused if the port changed type.  So do a shutdown, change the port, and then
boot up.

>>> The array is not disappearing, or being rebooted, nor is there any other
>>> machine rebooting or resetting.   I see these same errors on another box
>>> that has 3 arrays connected to a qlogic switch.  I seem to only see these
>>> when the machine is heavily accessing the disks.
>>
>>   Same here.  You shouldn't see LIPs on a fabric.  So the QLogic switch
>> must be trying to maintain a loop per port.
>>
>>   I suspect that loop mode is also less stable than point-to-point or
>> fabric. There is an indication in the isp manpage that it is possible for
>> the driver to hang on boot waiting for a LIP.  The solution to that problem
>> has been to force a LIP (unplug something), or don't use a loop mode.
>
> What do I need to change on the qlogic switch/initiator/target ends to force
> things?

   I don't know how do this on QLogic switch.  If it is actually a switch, it
should have a cli or http management interface to configure ports.  If it does
not have an interface, it may be a hub, in which it is actually a loop (fibre
channel hubs are effectively a daisy chained loop of ports).

> Thanks for your help!
>

> Eric

Tom