LIP destroyed xxx active commands

Tom Samplonius tom at uniserve.com
Mon Apr 10 21:40:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Tom Samplonius wrote:
>>
>> Eric,
>>
>>   It seems that isp0 is connected to a loop topology network (as opposed to
>> a point to point, or fabric), and something keeps initializing the loop by
>> sending a LIP command.
>>
>>   Are you plugging or unplugging things into the loop all of the time?  Or
>> are you loop part on a switch, and someone else is plugging or unplugging
>> things from the fabric?  If you are going straight into a switch, it might
>> be better to change the port to a fabric port instead.
>

> This host has it's isp device directly connected to a fiber channel array.

   Probably should use point-to-point mode instead.  See if you can change the
port type on the array controller.

> The array is not disappearing, or being rebooted, nor is there any other
> machine rebooting or resetting.   I see these same errors on another box that
> has 3 arrays connected to a qlogic switch.  I seem to only see these when the
> machine is heavily accessing the disks.

   Same here.  You shouldn't see LIPs on a fabric.  So the QLogic switch must be
trying to maintain a loop per port.

   I suspect that loop mode is also less stable than point-to-point or fabric.
There is an indication in the isp manpage that it is possible for the driver to
hang on boot waiting for a LIP.  The solution to that problem has been to force
a LIP (unplug something), or don't use a loop mode.

> Eric

Tom