camcontrol and IDAD0

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Thu Sep 1 10:09:20 PDT 2005

They are not an emulation of anything.  It's a custom block storage
interface.  mlx, aac, amr, and others operate in a similar way.  Before
Microsoft starting enforcing the use of the SCSI miniport/storport API
in order to get WHQL certification, it was quite common for RAID cards
to have a simple (and fast) block interface instead of an emulated
SCSI interface.  But regardless of that, just about every single PCI
RAID architecture has its own private protocol for doing management
and monitoring.  SCSI and ATA simply don't provide the kind of
abstraction for doing this, so everyone invented their own proprietary
protocols instead.

Scott

tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
> Thanks Scott.
>
> So are they an emulation of ATA devices? Also atacontrol doesn't report
> anything about them.
>
> Tonino
>
> At 17.39 01/09/2005, Scott Long wrote:
>
>> The IDA devices are not under the CAM subsystem, so camcontrol will
>> have no effect on them.  I assume that you are looking for a way to
>> monitor and manage the controller and arrays?  That requires a custom
>> application that knows how to speak to the controller firmware.  Even
>> if IDA were under CAM, camcontrol would not be able to do this.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> Antonio Nati - Inter at zioni wrote:
>>
>>> How can I handle Compaq Smart Raid disks using camcontrol?
>>> I've looked a lot around, and found sometimes the same question, but
>>> no answers:
>>> I've an internal Smart Raid card (on a DL360) handling a mirrored set
>>> of disks.
>>> Boot says:
>>> Aug  5 21:23:13 ia-srv01 kernel: idad0: <Compaq Logical Drive> on ida0
>>> Aug  5 21:23:13 ia-srv01 kernel: idad0: 17359MB (35553120 sectors),
>>> blocksize=512
>>> RAID is working properly, but I have no way (apparently) to check it
>>> within FreeBSD.
>>> Command "camcontrol devlist -v" returns
>>> scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
>>> <  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
>>> atacontrol does not says anything about this disk.
>>> What can I do? Is there any other resource/command available in order
>>> to solve this problem?
>>> Thanks,
>>> Tonino