Updating firmware on HP 642 (ciss)

Mikhail Teterin mi at aldan.algebra.com
Sat Mar 26 19:37:49 PST 2005

Hello!

I got a used HP Smart Array 642, which does not see my harddrive
(Savvio):

ciss0: <HP Smart Array 642> port 0xb800-0xb8ff mem
0xfea80000-0xfeabffff,0xfeafe000-0xfeafffff irq 29 at device 1.0 on pci4

I figured, I should first update the adapter's firmware, which is at
version 1.30. The new firmware (2.36) is available from Compaq but the
tools expect either Linux (32 or 64-bit) or Windows (32-bit).

But neither FreeBSD nor Windows/x64 (the free Windows available today)
is supported.

I tried running the Linux binary, but it seems to be looking for
/dev/ciss/c0d0 instead of /dev/ciss0, that I have...

Has anyone ever updated the ciss' firmware on FreeBSD?

I'm going to try with Knoppix now, but would rather find a way to do
this from within FreeBSD...

Thanks!

	-mi