Any changes in SCSI code between 4.10 and 4.11?

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 21 18:21:36 PST 2005

On 21 Mar, Reed Loefgren wrote:
> All,
>
> I have just finished rolling my desktop back to 4.10(p5) from
> 4.11RELEASE. It had been suffering freezes, the last one bad enough
> that boot time couldn't find /kernel and corrupted my striped vinum
> /usr.
>
> I had fallen back from 4-STABLE to 4.11RELEASE to try and stop this
> because things seemed to go bad around the time I moved to 4.11 from
> 4.10, but I don't really track stuff like that. I'm using an Adaptec
> 2940U(W?) card; 69-ext, 68-int and 50-int connectors and wondered if
> there had been any changes to the SCSI code in the move between 4.10
> and 4.11. I imagine the 2940 might also be rather EOL for the codebase
> going forward. In any event, it's nice to have again a machine that
> stays up more than a day at a time; it's still a great OS.
>
> I've included no dumps or debug info here, I just thought I'd ask (and I'm
> not sure I want to go back to that just to find out something I can now
> avoid.)

I've seen something similar with one of the disks on my 4-STABLE box.
The working -> non-working timeframe sounds similar.  I thought the disk
was going bad.  It tended to fail under load, but I was able to retrieve
all the data from it and I replaced it with a couple of older and
smaller disks that I had as spares.  The symtoms were timeouts and this
disk would sometimes go offline, resulting in an "Invalidating pack"
error.  It also exhibited the same problems on my 6-CURRENT box until
just recently, which makes me think that something in the CAM, SCSI, or
driver code recently got fixed.  I'm now totally unable to reproduce the
problem on my 6-CURRENT box and I'm planning on moving the disk back to
by 4-STABLE box to see if the problem comes back.

In my case, the controller is a
	ahc0: <Adaptec 19160B Ultra160 SCSI adapter> port 0xe000-0xe0ff mem 0xef022000-0xef022fff irq 16 at device 12.0 on pci0
and the disk is a
	da1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 1 lun 0
	da1: <SEAGATE ST336737LW 0105> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
	da1: 160.000MB/s transfers (80.000MHz, offset 31, 16bit), Tagged Queueing Enabled
	da1: 35242MB (72176566 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 4492C)