LSILogic MegaRAID and "camcontrol:cam_lookup_pass:CAMGETPASSTHRU ioctl failed"

Gary Mulder gmulder at infotechfl.com
Thu Mar 17 09:43:02 PST 2005

 From personal experience the MegaRAID monitoring software has crashed
two of our FreeBSD 4.9 systems, before we unistalled it.

As these systems age past two years drives are starting to fail and
given that I can't monitor the state of the RAID arrays from FreeBSD I'm
not purchasing any more MegaRAID controller based systems.

Furthermore, although I haven't been able to definitively isolate it, I
suspect that some mysterious hangs on some of our more heavily loaded
database systems are due to the MegaRAID controller not gracefully
handling failed drives, even when hot spares are available.

I have zero diagnostic information as FreeBSD just stops responding (no
console keyboard response, nothing...). I suspect this is due to the
fact that my root partition is on the MegaRAID controller. This is also
with the latest firmware installed on the MegaRAID controllers.

So, what are people's experiences with the Adaptec 2200S U320 controller
under FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x?

Gary