management apps for U320 RAID controllers on 5.3

Ken Menzel kenm at icarz.com
Thu Jan 6 11:27:30 PST 2005

Hi,
  We have always used adaptec asr style controllers with asr-utils
package and scripts written to remotely monitor the raid using the
command line raidutil program.  We are now looking to do this with
Ultra320 drives and FreeBSD 5.3.  Can anyone recommend a controller
that has or will have U320 support and tools to monitor/manage the
arrays in FreeBSD 5.x?  We have a database application, that updates
often and needs a high speed caching RAID controller.  We have used
RAID 10 in the past.

I was considering an Adaptec 39320A-R, it uses the 'ahd' driver but I
can't seem to find a toolset for managing and monitoring.Will the
LINUX "Adaptec Storage manager v2.12" RPM run under FreeBSD?   What is
the difference between "HostRAID" and "non-HostRAID"?! I am open to
suggestions,  I can't find much info on the Adaptec web site, except
that FreeBSD is not a supported OS.  I am also considering one of
Dell's PERC controllers which I assume would use the aac-cli tool set.
I saw some-one already asked  similar questions about IBM serveRAID
with regards to ZCR,  I am not sure it would be wise to assume all
things to be equal with U320 controllers!

Thanks in advance for any advice on 5.3 and U320 tools!

Ken

Ken Menzel  ICQ# 9325188
www.icarz.com  kenm at icarz.com