Problem with mpt(4) and Infortrend RAID

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Fri Feb 4 03:24:39 PST 2005

Hello.

On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 06:25:59PM +0800, Rong-En Fan wrote:
>   1. set the channel to 160MB/s (sync clock is 80Mhz)

This does the trick for me, I discovered that just a few days ago.

>   2. map 1 logical drive to 1 channel (I have two channels
>      on raid)

This did not work for me, tried that before.

> By the way, if I use 320MB/s and plug the RAID into another
> Adaptec 29320LP (ahd(4)), it fails when bus scanning. On the
> other hand, 160MB/s is fine.

*hehe* I just got me an Adaptec also to test and saw the same. I even
installed Linux and tested it and always get the same results: With
320MB/s there are problems. With 160 MB/s there are now problems.

FreeBSD-wise I would say: "fixed" (meeaning there was not a problem).

> any suggestion about this?

Yes, we're gonna talk a little to Infortrend, while buying nice U320
hardware and getting something that does only work as U160 is not nice.
For some time I can still live with U160, but when I start upgrading
capacities here it will make a difference in the number of SCSI channels
needed.

Funny, in the Infortrend FAQ you find a lot of "How do I downgrade
Controler XXX from 320 MB/s to 160 MB/s", but they never tell you, why
you should do that. But reading this you get the feeling, they know
about this problem.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |