da0 became da1

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri Apr 22 12:18:35 PDT 2005

Tuc at Beach House wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 	I currently have a server with an ADAPTEC SCSI controller, and
> an LSI Symbios one. Previously when I set the machine up, da0 was the
> Adaptec and all was good. Now that I plugged in something to the LSI
> controller, that now has become da0 and my boot disk is now da1.
>
> 	How would I tell the system to always make ADAPTEC the da0?
>
> 		Thanks, Tuc

You need to use the FreeBSD kernel feature called 'scsi device wiring'.
It's described in /sys/conf/NOTES.  As an example (assuming you're
talking about FreeBSD 5.x/6.0 here):

device ahc
device sym

hint.scbus.0.at="ahc0"
hint.da.0.at="scbus0"
hint.da.0.target="0"
hint.da.0.unit="0"

This ensures that the logical bus 'scbus0' is associated with
the first ahc controller found, and that da0 is associated with
target,lun 0,0 on scbus0.

The wiring syntax works both compiled into the kernel via the
normal kernel config file, or by inserting it into /boot/device.hints.

Scott