asr-utils not working with 5.3 release

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri Apr 1 14:20:10 PST 2005

Scott Long wrote:
> Jon Noack wrote:
>
>> Oliver Velten wrote:
>>
>>> I have set up a new system with a adaptec 2100S SCSI-Raid Card using
>>> Raid5
>>> on
>>>
>>> root at zeus:~> uname -a
>>> FreeBSD zeus 5.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE #0: Sat Feb 19 22:49:13 CET
>>> 2005     root at zeus:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ZEUS  i386
>>>

>>> I installed /usr/ports/sysutils/asr-utils
>>>
>>> then did a
>>> $ raidutil -L all
>>>
>>> after a
>>>
>>> $ ln -s asr0 rdpti0
>>

>> The asr management support was removed before 5.3 (see rev. 1.55 and
>> rev. 1.60 of asr.c for the reason) and added back in last week (see
>> rev. 1.66/1.64.2.1 of asr.c).  Update to RELENG_5 (currently
>> 5.4-PRERELEASE) for support.  I tested it on my 2100S a few days ago
>> and it worked great.
>>
>> Because 5.x uses devfs, your rdtpi0 link will disappear after you
>> reboot.  Instead of using "ln -s", add the following to
>> /etc/devfs.conf to make the link permanent:
>>
>> # Make asr-utils work
>> link    asr0    rdpti0
>>
>>> error message. After searching a little bit I found one open bug reports
>>> about the same problem (ports/72520) but I know there is one more,
>>> that I
>>> did not found.
>>

>> ports/72520 should be closed.
>>
>> Jon
>

> I just committed a band-aid that will eliminate the need for devfs
> gymnastics.  I'll see about squeezing it into 5.4.
>
> Scott

One more thing....

Please Please Please someone step forward and re-write the asr
utilities.  I don't like adding more band-aids to FreeBSD to cope with
severe design flaws in the software that are fairly easy to fix.  Please
get rid of the dmesg scraping that tries to create /dev nodes on the fly
based on how the asr major number was previously displayed during boot.
Please remove the ioctls that make the kernel poke around in Option ROM
memory.  Please remove the ioctls that try to retrieve silly system
stats from the kernel.  Please fix the silly signal handling that
pervades the low-level API and makes it impossible to port it or
incorporate it in more advanced front-ends.

Thanks,

Scott