non-responding PERC with aaccli ...

Dennis G Allard allard at oceanpark.com
Sun Sep 26 14:42:17 PDT 2004

Hi Josh.

I'm looking for someone who can help me bring a hot failover drive
online via a AFACLI tool?

Are you available for a quick question or two?

I will pay your rate for your help.

Here is my question:

I am working for a company that has some serious problems in their aging
hardware.

I'm a veteran programmer but have never configured hardware RAID before now.

Here is the problem statement and my best *guess* as to a solution,
based on my reading of the AFACLI documentation.

Context:

We have a Dell Poweredge 2450 on Red Hat 6.2 in the following state:

 >> AFA0> enclosure show slot
 >> Executing: enclosure show slot
 >>
 >> Enclosure
 >> ID (B:ID:L) Slot scsiId Insert  Status
 >> ----------- ---- ------ -------
 >>  0  0:06:0   0   0:00:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
 >>  0  0:06:0   1   0:01:0     1   OK FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
 >>  0  0:06:0   2   0:02:0     1   ERROR FAULTY FAILED CRITICAL ACTIVATE
 >>  0  0:06:0   3   0:03:0     1   OK UNCONFIG HOTSPARE ACTIVATE
 >>
 >> AFA0> disk list
 >> Executing: disk list
 >>
 >> B:ID:L  Device Type     Blocks    Bytes/Block Usage            Shared
 >> ------  --------------  --------- ----------- ---------------- ------
 >> 0:00:0   Disk            71132959  512         Initialized     NO
 >> 0:01:0   Disk            71132960  512         Initialized     NO
 >> 0:02:0   Disk            0         0           Offline         NO
 >> 0:03:0   Disk            71132960  512         Initialized     NO
 >>
 >> AFA0> container list
 >> Executing: container list
 >> Num          Total  Oth Chunk          Scsi   Partition
 >> Label Type   Size   Ctr Size   Usage   B:ID:L Offset:Size
 >> ----- ------ ------ --- ------ ------- ------ -------------
 >>  0    RAID-5 67.7GB       32KB Open    0:00:0 64.0KB:33.8GB
 >>  /dev/sda             SEPT             0:01:0 64.0KB:33.8GB
 >>                                        0:02:0 64.0KB!33.8GB
 >>

 >> AFA0>

Based on my reading from the Web, I interpret the above to mean that we
have a RAID-5 array with two functioning disks after the third disk
failed, meaning that we no longer have redundancy and are in a very
precarious situation.  There is a fourth drive available for use as a
hot spare but it currently is not in the RAID-5 array.

Problem Statement:

How do I make the hot spare (0,3,0) replace the hosed drive (0,2,0).

Proposed Solution:

I should use AFACLI and do:

     container set failover 0 (0,3,0)

Question:

Is the above command the right thing to do?

If not, what?

If so, is there any prelimary preparation of the disk needed?

Can doing the above command cause something horrible to happen?

Is there anything I need to do to get rid of the "!" drive (0,2,0) from
the array?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

regards,
Dennis

--
Dennis G. Allard                               telephone: 1.310.399.4740
Ocean Park Software                                 http://oceanpark.com