sym(4): Linux sym53c8xx_2 license change to GPL-only

Matthias Andree ma at dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Sep 13 18:26:17 PDT 2004

I wrote:

> Linux' sym53c8xx driver version 2.1.18k has switched from dual BSD/GPL
> license to GPL-only by Matthew Wilcox, the maintainer of the Linux
> driver,

Matthew Wilcox has responded to the inquiry and sent a kind reply; he
stated that he checked the BSD trees before making that change, NetBSD
and OpenBSD were using the siop driver, and FreeBSD's sym driver was
driver version 1.6.5, not 2.x.y, hence the licence change wouldn't
affect FreeBSD directly, and he'd rather prevent using the (new versions
of the) driver in proprietary operating systems.

I wasn't aware FreeBSD was still with the old driver.

Matthew offered to relicense his driver if there was strong interest from the
BSD camp, but until then, he'd rather prevent someone taking the driver
to the proprietary camp.

His original message:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-scsi&m=109512230900469&w=2

So it doesn't look as bad as the sole log line might have suggested.

Please apologize if you consider this noise.

--
Matthias Andree

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95 (PGP/MIME preferred)