Dell PERC 3si ... raid 1+0 possible ?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri Sep 3 14:46:57 PDT 2004

Joe Schmoe wrote:
> I would like to configure four physical disks as
> follows:
>
> two mirrored volumes, and then create a stripe set out
> of the two mirrored volumes.  This is raid 1+0, I
> believe.  So I would end up with only one logical disk
> that FreeBSD would see, and it would be 1/2 the size
> of the total size of the four disks.
>
> Can the PERC 3si do this ?
>
 > Further, is there command support in the FreeBSD CLI
 > to maintain and rebuild raid 1+0 volumes ?
 >
 > Thanks you.

You want to do this on a sparc64 machine?  The aac driver
will not work on big-endian machines right now.  If that gets
fixed then I guess there is nothing that would prevent it from
working.  However, there is no boot support (I worked on an
OpenBoot BIOS for a little while but never finished it) and
there is no management support.  The CLI that I did for FreeBSD
is closed-source and only for i386.  You can always create the
array on an i386 system and move it to the sparc64 system, but
you won't have any way to manage it.  The good news is that things
like spare activation happen entirely in the card and not in the
driver or management app.

Scott