Tape on Dell 2450, changes with no luck

Paul Grunwald pgrunwald at comcast.net
Fri Nov 12 15:16:14 GMT 2004

> > I'm still not seeing the drive under  5.3 GENERIC.
> >
> > What else can I try to diagnose the problem?
>
> Read at least the documentation!
>
> > Can someone who has this working tell me what their switch and jumper
> settings are set to?
>
> Currently you are only seeing the raid container.
> You have no access to any of the drives itself so far.
>
> In aac(4) manpage:
>      Access to RAID containers is available via the /dev/aacd? device
> nodes.
>      The aacp device enables the SCSI pass-thru interface and allows
> devices
>      connected to the card such as cdroms to be available via the CAM
> scsi(4)
>      subsystem.  Note that not all cards allow this interface to be
> enabled.

I have had complete access to the RAID container and it is working fine.
The tape drive is not part of the container.  "camcontrol devlist" is not
showing anything so it is at a level below the driver.

FYI - after spending 1.5 hours on the phone with dell we determined that the
onboard 7899 controller is bad.  I have been troubleshooting a hardware
problem.  We only got it to show once at boot time in bios after a NVRAM
wipe.  The PERC controller will not support the tape drive itself.  This is
the reason the sa driver is not picking up the tape drive.