GEM359 ses driver?

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Sat Mar 6 16:13:45 PST 2004

From: Scott Long [mailto:scottl at freebsd.org]
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Don Bowman wrote:
> > is anyone aware of a driver or software for freebsd
> > for a qlogic enclosure management device? I would
> > like to hook alarms up to my nagios installation.
> >
> > http://www.qlogic.com/products/gem/gem359.asp
> >
> > This device is present in e.g. supermicro raid
> > backplane devices.
>
> The CAM 'ses' driver should attach to this, at least in
> theory.  Sample
> utilities that talk to this driver are in /usr/share/examples/ses.

Yes, the 'getencstat' example does connect to it.
However, these utilities don't really do anything useful as
far as I can tell, they're more starting points. I'm guessing
the gem has modepages that can be decoded.

I'd like to be able to detect when a disk goes bad, or
a fan, etc, and hook this up to a notification.

The smartmontools package connects to the raid controller (ASR),
but the raid controller hides all the drives, so that doesn't
really help. The asr-utils don't work anymore, so i can't
see my drive status that way, so i'm looking @ the ses part.

--don