Adaptec 2410SA starts doing this: aac0: COMMAND 0xc551a7e8 TIMEOUT AFTER 147 SECONDS (Modified by Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC)

Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC chad at shire.net
Fri Mar 5 20:48:46 PST 2004

I originally sent this to -questions, but got no response.  I hope this
is a good place to send this.  While the drives and controller are
SATA, the driver is the SCSI aac driver for the adaptec raid, hence
this group.  I would appreciate any attempts to help me understand what
is going on.  I have flashed the latest BIOS and Firmware into the card
and upgraded FBSD to 5.2.1-RELEASE and it still has this problem
suddenly.  Rebooting, etc have no effect.
I would appreciate being directly cc: ed on any replies, as I am
subscribed to -questions but not -scsi
thanks
Chad
-----

Hi

I have an Adaptec 2410SA RAID card with 3 drives attached, 2 in a RAID
1 array and one as a separate disk.  This has been working under
5.2-RELEASE in my test server for some time now.  However, for some
reason the machine locked up (may not be related) and I had to do a
hard reset.

Now the machine, when it tries to check the two aacd volumes on this
controller, starts printing out this message below every 20 seconds or
so and the disk volumes cannot be used.  Each new IO attempt triggers a
new set of these messages.  The hex number after the COMMAND word is
different for each new IO request but of course stays the same for
repeated messages relating to the same original IO request

aac0: COMMAND 0xc551a7e8 TIMEOUT AFTER 147 SECONDS

I have googled on this and similar posts related to 2120S controllers
all seemed to have different causes and fixes...

Any hints or ideas on what is causing this?  I can get into the
controller at POST time and it checks out...

Thanks
Chad