Panasonic LF-D102 DVD drive

Kenneth D. Merry ken at kdm.org
Mon Mar 1 11:25:06 PST 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 18:17:49 +0000, Pete French wrote:
> I have one of the above Panasonic drives that I am attempting to
> use under the AMD64 version of 5.2.1 -RELEASE. The drive works fine
> for mouting CD's or DVD's with an ISO 9660 filesystem on them. If
> I insert media with a UDF filesystem, however, (either a DVD-RAM
> cartridge or a video DVD) then I cannot access the device as I
> get and error along the lines of /dev/cd1 not being a valid device.
> This is both using mount_udf and also if I just try and get rawdata
> from it using "dd".
>
> It was suggested to me elsewhere that this is due to the SCSI system not
> recognising the drive properly and that I should ask on this list. How
> would I set about trying to track down the problem ?

dmesg information would be helpful.  Also, if you're trying to do a dd from
a video DVD, you won't be able to access the video by default if it is
an encrypted DVD.  (You have to supply encryption keys to be able to access
it.)

You could try using something like ogle (/usr/ports/multimedia/ogle) to
play a standard video DVD.  ogle goes through the cd(4) driver to read the
DVD.

As for a DVD-RAM, though, you should be able to at least dd sectors off the
raw device.  What happens when you type:

dd if=/dev/cd1 of=/dev/null bs=2k count=200

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken at kdm.org