ahc driver now borked in -current?

Scott Long scottl at samsco.org
Fri Jul 16 08:03:42 PDT 2004

Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> Interestingly enough, the same kernel boots in 'safe mode', so one of
> the canned safeboot settings must be causing this to work.  It's clearly
> not the ACPI one, however, since I tried disabling that one
> independently and things were still hosed.
>
> - Jordan
>
> On Jul 11, 2004, at 8:07 AM, Scott Long wrote:
>
>> Having the dump card state message will be really useful.  You might
>> want to examine the message and see if mentions anything about
>> interrupts not working, or 'SCB already completed'.
>>
> --
> Jordan K. Hubbard
> Engineering Manager, BSD technology group
> Apple Computer

Safe mode disables the following:

ACPI
APIC (and by extention, SMP)
ATA DMA
ATAPI DMA
ATA WC
EISA

My guess is that disabling the APIC is doing the trick for you.
It's strange that ACPI doesn't make a difference; usually when
it comes to interrupt routing, either the mptable or ACPI are
hosed, but not both.  This wouldn't happen to be a Dell
workstation, would it?  I had a very similar problem with my
Dell, and wound up having to hard-code some of the routing.

At this point I'd recommend contacting John Baldwin.

Scott