Adding a raid volume without reboot

Scott Long scottl at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 16 20:01:30 PDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004, Herve Boulouis wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I've a dell poweredge with an embedded adaptec raid controller (aac driver)
> and I would like to know if it is possible to add a new raid volume without
> rebooting.
>
> It seems you can create the new volume while the system is running
> using the aaccli utility but will freebsd see the new device (/dev/aacd...)
> when it is created ? Is creating the missing /dev entries sufficient ?

On FreeBSD 5.x, the /dev/aacdX entry will be created as soon as the
controller announces it.  On 4.x you might need to manually create the
node, and that is irregardless of needing a reboot or not.

So the short answer is that FreeBSD will see arrays come and go in real
time on Adaptec RAID controllers and will do the right thing.

Scott