Adding a raid volume without reboot

Herve Boulouis amon at sockar.homeip.net
Mon Aug 16 10:03:55 PDT 2004

Hi list,

I've a dell poweredge with an embedded adaptec raid controller (aac driver)
and I would like to know if it is possible to add a new raid volume without
rebooting.

It seems you can create the new volume while the system is running
using the aaccli utility but will freebsd see the new device (/dev/aacd...)
when it is created ? Is creating the missing /dev entries sufficient ?

On Irix there is a command (ioconfig) that allows the system to see
volumes added after boot so I was wondering if there is a similar thing
in FreeBSD. I've checked the camcontrol utility but the aac volumes do
not show up in camcontrol devlist -v. (I'm using -stable)

Any lights on this would be greatly appreciated.

--
Herve Boulouis