Hardware Striping

Jens Schweikhardt schweikh at schweikhardt.net
Fri Apr 23 12:21:29 PDT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:45:32AM -0700, Dan Strick wrote:
# >>
# >	...
# > I have two pairs of identical U160 SCSI disks
# >	...
# > Until now I'm using an Adaptec 29160 Host Adapter, but of course it is
# > not HW-RAID0 capable. What card am I looking for?
# >
# > The disks have a sustained read rate of 60 to 70 Mbyte/s, so if all of
# > them were used at the same time they could saturate an U160 bus. Is this
# > a problem?
# >	...
# >>
#
# We can assume that a high speed SCSI host adapter will have a faster
# PCI interface but the vast majority of even modern motherboards have
# only a traditional 33 MHz 32 bit PCI which would saturate well below
# 133 Mbyte/sec.
#
# What variety of PCI bus does your system have?

Good point! The board is an ASUS A7N8X, the manual says it has a PCI 2.2
conformant bus, with a 133MB max throughput. So any U320 RAID is
certainly overkill.

Regards,

	Jens
--