SCSI, SMP, and Supermicro, problems!

David Raistrick drais at wow.atlasta.net
Wed Oct 1 07:07:25 PDT 2003

It was recommended by supermicro support, as well as a list member, to
update the Seagate 15k disks to firmware 0006.

I've done this:
da0: <SEAGATE ST373453LC 0006> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
da1: <SEAGATE ST336753LC 0006> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device

The results are that the system still has the same problems:  Works fine
with a UP kernel, hangs/errors with a SMP kernel.

"
Starting final network daemons: mountd NFS on reserved port only=YES nfsd
rpc.s.
ELF ldconfig path: /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/local/lib
a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
Starting standard daemons: inetd cron sshd usbd sendmail
sendmail-clientmqueueeg
ahd0: Timedout SCB already complete. Interrupts may not be functioning.
ahd0: Timedout SCB already complete. Interrupts may not be functioning.
"

The other issues I'm seeing, with the em0 watchdog timeouts, are mentioned
as a bug in 4.8-R here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2003-April/000551.html

I'll try this workaround shortly.

Further update:

Since the above, I rebooted the system again...and for the first time I
have a running SMP system.

Still seeing the em0 timeouts, I'm going to try the workaround.

...david

---
david raistrick
drais at atlasta.net		http://www.expita.com/nomime.html