probing LUN's

Kenneth D. Merry ken at kdm.org
Wed Jul 23 11:02:50 PDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 10:35:34 -0700, Nate Lawson wrote:
> >   tonymaher> Hello, I have been attempting to get a Hitachi SAN
> >   tonymaher> attached to a FreeBSD box via a Qlogic 2300 card.  The
> >   tonymaher> card appeared to work ok (as evidenced by verbose boot
> >   tonymaher> messages but no disk(s) was seen.  Finally was able to
> >   tonymaher> see disk with a 'camcontrol rescan 1:0:4'
> >   tonymaher> command. Previous 'camcontrol rescan all' and 'camcontrol
> >   tonymaher> rescan 1' failed to see disk.  (and obviously not seen at
> >   tonymaher> boot time).
> >
> >   tonymaher> I did not set the SAN up but from a cursory examination:
> >   tonymaher> The SAN has two controllers and two 'logical' raid 5
> >   tonymaher> devices.  One controller is connected to a Sun box which
> >   tonymaher> sees c1t0d[0-3] and the 4th lun appears to be given over
> >   tonymaher> to the second controller for the FreeBSD box.
> >
> >   tonymaher> I assume this means that CAM does not probe all LUN's if
> >   tonymaher> no device at LUN 0 or sys/cam/cam_xpt.c has quirk entry
> >   tonymaher> for device that disables LUN probing.  There is quirk for
> >   tonymaher> {"HITACHI", "DK31*"} but the SAN reports as Hitachi
> >   tonymaher> DF600F (I think, sorry its at work and I cannot access it
> >   tonymaher> currently) so the second case shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> > You need the ispfw driver (either compiled-in or modloaded) to probe
> > luns beyond LUN 0 for the QLogic FC card.  If that is not your
> > problem, then I do not know...
>
> That's true.  However, if camcontrol rescan 1:0:4 works for him, then he
> can try setting CAM_QUIRK_HILUNS for his device to get other luns probed
> when 0 doesn't respond.

Actually, I don't know that that will cause the device on LUN 4 to show up
if LUN 0 isn't probing.  According to SAM-3, all SCSI devices must accept
LUN 0 as a valid address.

Of course if it does respond on LUN 0, but just says that the LUN isn't
connected, we may still end up failing to probe additional LUNs..  It has
been a while since I looked at the probe code.

It's worth a try, though.  I'm curious to hear whether that does the trick
or not.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry