relocation info

Kenneth D. Merry ken at kdm.org
Mon Apr 28 12:31:49 PDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 27, 2003 at 00:54:52 +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> I have a SCSI disk which is showing signs of surface errors.  I've
> tried to dd /dev/zero over it several times, but I never get write
> errors - only unrecoverable read errors.  Both AWRE and ARRE are
> enabled, but I never get errors when I write to the disk, so nothing
> gets relocated.  Is there any way I can force relocation of the
> sectors which exhibit read errors?

You can try 'camcontrol reassign'.  joerg sent me patches last Fall to
implement it, and I've been planning on turning it into a scan and
reassign tool.  (i.e. scan the disk, look for read errors, and attempt to
reassign the block)

Anyway, the patches are here:

http://people.FreeBSD.org/~ken/camcontrol.reassign.20030428

Let me know how things work.