Issues with SuperMicro SuperServer 6011D System.

jeev jeev at boldinternet.net
Thu Apr 24 12:34:15 PDT 2003

Currently I've had them install 4.8-release on the server, works fine with
UP kernel/generic.  I have spoken to supermicro over the phone, they said it
could be the cpu's being 256 cache, that wont work, but they're 512, any
other leads? There are no pci cards plugged in, if you would like to access
the machine, maybe to check some stuff out, let me know.

Nate Lawson wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, jeev wrote:
>
>>Hey guys, I've got a bunch of these:
>>http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/SUPERServer/SuperServer6011D.htm
>>
>>I currently am trying to get 2 of them working, I've tested them all
though.

>>I have put 4.7 4.8 5.0 and upgraded and im still having issues.
>

> I've used a similar one of these with FreeBSD 4.5R and it worked fine.
>

>>-- DMESG OUTPUT --
>>Copyright (c) 1992-2003 The FreeBSD Project.
>>Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
>>        The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
>>FreeBSD 5.0-RELEASE-p7 #0: Wed Apr 23 00:17:46 PDT 2003
>>    root at ded16.bphosting.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/jeev
>>Preloaded elf kernel "/boot/kernel/kernel" at 0xc0660000.
>>Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/acpi.ko" at 0xc06600a8.
>

> You need to disable ACPI on 5.0 and try again.  Also update your BIOS to
> the latest version.  Try with a non-SMP kernel also.  Check cabling and
> termination.
>
> Your information below wasn't helpful for me since the errors
> just said "something is timing out" and dmesg looks like there
> are no problems.
>
> -Nate

The messages point to an interrupt routing problem.  The strange thing
is that it appears that interrupts are working well enough for CAM to
probe the SCSI bus, but then later they start failing.  Very strange.  I
also have no idea how a SCSI BIOS update will fix this.  I have no
experience with VIA-based motherboards from SuperMicro, but I hate to
say that I wouldn't trust one.
With 5.0, have you tried with both ACPI enabled and disabled?  Often
times system BIOS makers break one method or the other, but not both.
Do you have any PCI cards plugged in?  What happens if you run just a
UP kernel?

Scott