What changed? (gem command missing in 1.9)

Stanislav Sedov stas at FreeBSD.org
Sat Nov 12 02:19:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 16:52:07 -0700
"Aaron D. Gifford" <astounding at gmail.com> mentioned:

> I'm not familiar with the inner workings of FreeBSD's port system, but
> is it possible that issues like 'gem' and 'rake' suddenly no longer
> being part of the lang/ruby19 port (due to the aforementioned outdated
> versions) could be dealt with during some sort of post-install hook
> while installing the lang/ruby19 port, a hook that could then install
> devel/ruby-gems and devel/rubygem-rake ports so that the executables
> that previously were always part of lang/ruby19 will still be
> automatically installed with that port?

Yes, we can actually do that.  We're discussing the possibility of making
lang/ruby19 to depend on ruby-gems and rake, thus having ruby19 installation
automatically install rake and gem as well.  But nobody did that yet.

I agree tought that should have been done at the moment the gem binary
was dropped from ruby19, but I think we just forgot about this at the
end.

--
Stanislav Sedov
ST4096-RIPE