Status of migration to ruby 1.9 as default

Steve Wills swills at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 7 02:28:03 UTC 2011

Hi,

In case anyone is interested, here's where we are with migrating to Ruby
1.9 as the default version:

* Good progress has been made on marking the incompatible ports and we
have deprecated a good number of them. The remaining incompatible ports
will be deprecated if no one steps up to fix them. A few PRs are
outstanding to mark the ports that are incompatible with 1.9 that aren't
maintained by ruby@

* A few ports which didn't work with 1.9 but have newer versions which
do have been found, and work has been done to update them. There are
also some where creating a new port that was rubygem- instead of ruby-
prefix seemed the right path. That has been done and work is in progress
to migrate the ports that depend on the older versions.

* I have to track down an issue with my patch (for making 1.9 the
default) and the versioned link for gem.

* After some discussion, it seems like not using the rdoc bundled with
Ruby makes sense. Managing the devel/rubygem-rdoc port separately will
be easier and allow updating separately. I just need to change my patch
to make sure the lang/ruby19 port doesn't install rdoc. This will also
be nice because the rdoc port that exists now doesn't work with ruby 1.8.

* There are some remaining ports that I just can't figure out, such as
audio/amarok-kde4 and editors/koffice-kde3 so I'll have to research
those more.

* I have a few patches for portupgrade that make it functional but not
perfect with 1.9. There's work to do there.

So, overall, great progress has been made and we're in good shape. Not
sure if we'll make it for 9.0, but I hope so.

If you'd like to test my patch, it's available here:

http://people.freebsd.org/~swills/ruby19_and_gems_changes5.diff

If you'd like to try to fix things, the possibly incomplete and/or
inaccurate list of ports that don't work with 1.9 is:

archivers/ruby-bz2
audio/ruby-musicbrainz
audio/ruby-shout
audio/ruby-vorbisfile