QEMU 4.1 and RISC-V

Mitchell Horne mhorne at freebsd.org
Sun Sep 29 20:48:20 UTC 2019

On Sun, Sep 29, 2019, 15:17 Li-Wen Hsu <lwhsu at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I found that RISC-V test started failing recently:
> https://ci.freebsd.org/job/FreeBSD-head-riscv64-test/
>
> After some checking, I found the issue is our bbl image cannot boot
> with this command:
>
> qemu-system-riscv64 -nographic -m 2048M -kernel ./bbl
>
> in QEMU 4.1, while 3.1 and 4.0 are fine.  I've switched the QEMU
> version used in that job to 4.0, but I think it would be best if we
> can find the root cause is in FreeBSD or QEMU.
>
> Can anyone also help on this?

Hi Li-Wen,

I can take a look in the coming week if you're okay with the workaround for
the time being. Locally
I've had no issue running bbl with qemu 4.1 but perhaps there's something
more specific that the
CI script is doing.

I'm hoping we will soon be able to replace bbl with the more actively
maintained OpenSBI firmware.
I have some pending changes that will allow us to boot FreeBSD with it, and
after that I'd like to
create ports for both bootloaders, which I hope will make the CI setup a
little simpler and less fragile
than building bbl currently is.

Best,
Mitchell