Suddenly: _IPEXPANDMAX

erdgeist erdgeist at erdgeist.org
Tue Feb 9 04:17:14 UTC 2016

Hey all,

I’ve recently (shortly after its EoL) upgraded my many-user-jails-box from 8.4 to 9.3 and noticed some of the jails failing to start. They all had in common that their IP address was above a certain suffix. Their IP addresses just were not configured on the interface.

After some investigation I found the hardcoded value _IPEXPANDMAX of 31 in /etc/network.subr and that I basically can not run more than 31 jails on my server anymore, if I am not willing to do some insane stuff, like editing a non-user-servicable rc script or manually adding each IP address or combining different schemes to add ranges (I’ve been using ipv4_addrs_IF).

Now, I find the arbitrary limit of 31 IP addresses cumbersome and even more annoying that it’s not tuneable. The warning somehow also did not properly find its way to my /var/log/messages, which leaves further work for debugging.

I noticed this has been fixed in https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/etc/network.subr?r1=267812&r2=271424

Is it possible to backport it to 9.4?

  erdgeist