kern/165769: [rc][jai][ipv6] IPv6 Initialization on external iface is too slow for jail

Bjoern A. Zeeb bz at freebsd.org
Mon Mar 12 12:30:15 UTC 2012

The following reply was made to PR kern/165769; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bz at freebsd.org>
To: Oleg Ginzburg <olevole at olevole.ru>,
 bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Cc: freebsd-jail <freebsd-jail at freebsd.org>
Subject: Re: kern/165769: [rc][jai][ipv6] IPv6 Initialization on external iface is too slow for jail
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:21:01 +0000

 On 12. Mar 2012, at 12:01 , Oleg Ginzburg wrote:

 > =D0=97=D0=B4=D1=80=D0=B0=D0=B2=D1=81=D1=82=D0=B2=D1=83=D0=B9=D1=82=D0=B5=
 ,
 >=20
 > On Monday 12 March 2012 15:27:32 bz at freebsd.org wrote:
 >> This has nothing to do with jails, just with interfaces, possibly
 >> switch ports and spanning tree.
 >=20
 > /etc/rc.d/netwait the script concerns only in a case "complete"-type =
 jail, not=20
 > for "service"-type as is written in my example

 I don't see a difference but I see what you mean with "on start" which I =
 treated
 as "on boot".  The answer unfortunately is - DAD is not supposed to take =
 that
 long that it would matter, so the NIC drivers are probably silly or are =
 required
 to do silly things.  I wonder if you might even see a DOWN/UP cycle.

 The workaround you can apply is to use the prestart option to the jail =
 to add that
 sleep 1 you need and let the startup script configure the IP addresses =
 for you.
 See jail_exec_prestart<n> in man 5 rc.conf.

 /bz

 --=20
    It does not matter how good you are. It matters what good you do!