base system rc.d dependencies as of 231173

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Wed Feb 8 03:11:54 UTC 2012

Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote
  in <4F31E172.8080807 at FreeBSD.org>:

do> On 02/07/2012 18:28, Xin Li wrote:
do> > This may be useful for rc.d people so I've decided to post it here.  I
do> > created these graphs with the NetBSD rcorder-visualize script with
do> > some changes to adapt with our needs (e.g. some scripts would provide
do> > multiple services, etc, attached).  I think the script is useful for
do> > FreeBSD as well, should we import it?
do>
do> I wouldn't have any objection to it being included in tools/ somewhere.
do>
do> That said, please don't take this as a criticism of your work, but I
do> don't see what we're supposed to get from this. It's an interesting
do> graphic, but there is too much data, of too much complexity, for the
do> graphic to be absorbed in one view. .... or maybe I'm just too stupid to
do> see the value.

 Interesting, but I agree that this flow chart is too complex to
 understand.  Before importing this, how about refining the output in
 some way?

 Useful information we can get from this kind of chart is order and
 dependency.  Off the top of my head, but I would say that roughly
 grouping the dependencies by uppercase scripts using the subgraph
 statement and placing nodes for the uppercase scripts in alignment
 with each other from top to bottom (forcing alignment is difficult in
 GraphViz though) would make something better.

-- Hiroki