[RFC] Use noafif in dhcpif and sycndhcpif

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Thu Sep 22 16:23:15 UTC 2011

Garrett Cooper <yanegomi at gmail.com> wrote
  in <CAGH67wSgt7NaoHabnZU88u5LuuXRMGwdoPPY3k0_C4ZgRLx84w at mail.gmail.com>:

ya> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:53 PM, Hiroki Sato <hrs at freebsd.org> wrote:
ya> > Xin LI <delphij at delphij.net> wrote
ya> >  in <4E7A75EB.80308 at delphij.net>:
ya> >
ya> > de> Hash: SHA256
ya> > de>
ya> > de> Hi,
ya> > de>
ya> > de> While developing FreeNAS we have hit a problem -- when
ya> > de> ifconfig_DEFAULT is set to "DHCP", all interfaces including pfsync0
ya> > de> and pflog0 would be probed by dhclient.
ya> > de>
ya> > de> It seems to be reasonable to check noafif in both dhcpif and
ya> > de> syncdhcpif, as did in ipv6_autoconfif based on same reasoning.
ya> >
ya> >  I think the patch is reasonable.  Using "ifconfig -l AF" does not
ya> >  work for this purpose because 1) it depends on an already-configured
ya> >  address (ifa->ifa_addr->sa_family) on 9.X and 2) it does not work on
ya> >  8.X as intended.
ya>
ya> Please note that the patch Xin included disables several wireless
ya> chipsets from doing dhcp by default. Is this desired?

 I think there is no problem because an wireless LAN interface always
 has a name like wlanN, not a name derived from the device driver.  If
 the noafif() interface list includes a network interface which can
 have an address, it is a bug and the interface should be removed from
 the list, though.

-- Hiroki