Annoying ERROR: 'wlan0' is not a DHCP-enabled interface

Eygene Ryabinkin rea at FreeBSD.ORG
Fri Nov 18 20:45:55 UTC 2011

Xin, good day.

Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 12:38:31PM -0800, Xin LI wrote:
> Is there any counter reasoning about "having an interface marked as
> non-DHCP is not an error"?  I'm still not convinced with the benefit
> of having it show an error message.

Well, when I invoke 'service dhclient start em0' and em0 isn't
DHCP-enabled, I want to see some diagnostics on why I was not able to
get DHCP on that interface.  Return code isn't that visible (I can, of
course, always run it as 'service dhclient start em0 || echo failed'),
but I am not up to typing more than needed and I should see the real
reason for absence of DHCP-assigned address in that case, be it the
non-DHCP-enabled interface or some other problem.
--
Eygene Ryabinkin                                        ,,,^..^,,,
[ Life's unfair - but root password helps!           | codelabs.ru ]