rc scripts change for review

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Sun Apr 24 12:47:47 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----

> >> It's not a good idea to add single scripts that only have a tiny
> >> function, especially if they are only called conditionally (I.e.,
> >> they
> >> contain KEYWORD: nostart). It's preferred to handle these things
> >> things
> >> in the script that needs them, or if it's necessary in more than
> >> one
> >> script to add a function to the appropriate .subr (rc, or network).
> >>
> >> So can you say a little more about what you're trying to
> >> accomplish?
> >> It's not clear to me why instead of doing this:
> >>
> >> + if ! sysctl vfs.newnfs>/dev/null 2>&1; then
> >> + force_depend nfssrv || return 1
> >> + fi
> >>
> >> you would not just do this:
> >>
> >> + if ! sysctl vfs.newnfs>/dev/null 2>&1; then
> >> + load_kld nfsd
> >> + fi
> >>
> > Well, the intent of the above was to get the module loaded so that
> > sysctl could manipulate its sysctl variables. I played with it a bit
> > and it turns out that neither of the above code snippets work in the
> > sense that they don't affect the outcome.
> >
> > What is needed to make the sysctls work is "nfssrv" has to be in the
> > REQUIRED: list for either mountd or nfsd. Without it, the sysctls
> > fail
> > with unknown oid. (I'm guessing there is some delay between the
> > load_kld
> > and when the module gets its sysctl variables registered?)
> >
> > Now, I'm not sure whether there is any advantage to specifying
> > "nfssrv"
> > in nfsd or mountd, although both seem to work when I test them.
> > "nfsserver"
> > is in mountd, so unless you guys have a better suggestion, that's
> > where
> > I'll leave it.
>
> From what you're describing the reason it works by using the nfsserver
> and nfssrv scripts is simply an accident of timing. That's not a good
> thing no matter how you look at it. :) I understand your dilemma in
> that the nfsserver "solution" was pre-existing, so you were just
> following the example you had. However I have this odd idea that we
> ought to fix broken code, not perpetuate it. Even if I weren't
> interested in this for pedantic value, the fact that it's only working
> now as an accident of timing is a good reason to fix it.
>
> The load_kld module is safe to run unconditionally (it will simply
> return if the module is loaded). So what you could do (for both cases)
> is something like this:
>
> load_kld nfsd
> while ! sysctl vfs.newnfs >/dev/null 2>&1; do
> sleep .5
> done
>
> If that works, I think we should add that feature to load_kld itself.

I've updated the scripts at
  http://people.freebsd.org/~rmacklem/rc.conf
and attached them, so you might not need to go there.

Could you please take another look at them. This time nfsd uses the
two load_klds and I tried to use "err", but I'm not sure if I checked
for nfsuserd failing correctly.

Thanks for your help, rick