Un-obsolete'ing ipv6_enable

Hiroki Sato hrs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Mar 9 05:01:10 UTC 2010

David Horn <dhorn2000 at gmail.com> wrote
  in <25ff90d61003082037v3519995bx7e119e9d14143db4 at mail.gmail.com>:

dh> The question is what is the desired end-state for the rc.conf
dh> configuration of ipv6 ?
dh>
dh> Do we want to have a per-interface setting required to enable ipv6 SLAAC ?
dh> Do we want to have a global setting for ipv6 SLAAC ?
dh> Or do we want to choose sane defaults and allow the user to over-ride
dh> on both a global default, and a per-interface basis ?
dh>
dh> So, in the 8.0-RELEASE code (and previous TTBOMK), both IPv4 DHCP and
dh> IPv6 SLAAC required manual enabling, although it was inconsistent in
dh> that one was global (IPV6 accept_rtadv), and one was per-interface
dh> (IPv4 DHCP).  Some of this has already started to change in -current.
dh>
dh> Question 1)  Based upon history, sane defaults would be do nothing (NO
dh> DHCPv4, NO IPv6 accept_rtadv).  Do you agree with this as the
dh> continued defaults ?

 I am for "no automatic configuration unless one specifies it", but it
 should be able to be configured in a per-interface basis as well as
 global basis.

dh> Question 2) Assuming that people do desire consistency with allowing
dh> for both a global, and a per-interface setting, do you agree with
dh> having a global default for DHCPv4 (dhcpv4_default_enable), and for
dh> IPv6 slaac/accept_rtadv  (ipv6-slaac_default_enable), and the
dh> per-interface DHCPv4 (ifconfig_IF0="dhcp") aka a meta configuration
dh> variable, and a per-interface IPv6 slaac (ifconfig_IF0="slaac") aka a
dh> meta configuration variable.

 I think the global configuration can be realized by setting something
 like ifconfig_DEFAULT_<proto>="AUTO" instead of adding a new global
 knobs.

dh> Do people understand what I am proposing here, or do you want me to
dh> put together a diff with an implementation to properly review ?   I
dh> already have some of it working in a separate experiment for adding
dh> DHCPv6 configurations.

 Yeah, actually I received your proposal a month ago and I should have
 put it to the wiki or so.  Sorry about that.  I will work on that
 soon for the further discussion.

-- Hiroki