rc.d/static_arp for v6: static_ndp

Frank Bartels freebsd at knarf.de
Fri Jul 9 21:21:16 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 12:36:13 -0700, Xin LI wrote:

> On 2010/07/09 07:55, Frank Bartels wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just noticed we have rc.d/static_arp for a while now, but the
> > v6 counterpart is missing: I'd call it static_ndp.
> >
> > So I took rc.d/static_arp and patched it. ndp does not know about
> > -S (deleting old entry first), so I've just changed it to -s. Maybe
> > someone is able to add -S to ndp, otherwise one should add -d line
> > before -s.
>
> Wouldn't -s replace existing entry?  Testing on link-local entry seems
> that -s would just replace it...

it seems you're right.

I did not even find a difference between arp -s and arp -S. Both
just overwrite the existing entry. Ages ago arp -s stopped with an
error message in this case, this is why -S was introduced if I
remember correctly.

So neither the new script nor ndp require further changes. :)

But I have a small problem left: If I put static_ndp into
/usr/local/etc/rc.d it is run far before static_arp and does not
work as expected. If I put it into /etc/rc.d, everything seems fine,
static_ndp is run right before static_arp.

Isn't "rcorder /etc/rc.d/* /usr/local/etc/rc.d/*" the correct way
to find out the order? There must be somthing I don't fully understand.

BTW: I use 8.1-RC2.

Bye,
Knarf