rc(8) script -- waiting for the network to become usable

Jeremy Chadwick freebsd at jdc.parodius.com
Mon Apr 26 08:21:26 UTC 2010

Foremost, sorry for the cross-post, but more eyes in this case means
overall more discussion.  Secondly, please keep me CC'd as I'm not on
either -rc or -net.

I recently proposed addition of a new script to the rc framework which
verifies (using ping) that layer 3 network connectivity is up/functional
before continuing on with daemons which require network access:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-April/056400.html

The overall response was positive, with full acknowledgement that this
is indeed a hack -- yet necessary -- and that something more appropriate
could probably be introduced into the base system to provide a much
cleaner solution (launchd was mentioned).

I'd like folks (particularly on -rc) to chime in here, and please see
about adding this to the base system.

Please note there's one typo in the script (a line which needs to be
commented out) in my original post which I've since fixed in the version
that's available via HTTP.

Thank you!