Specifying a precedence order for wireless AP stations in rc.conf?

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Apr 24 03:00:36 UTC 2010

In message: <v2s7d6fde3d1004231916v13c03615j6e4cbd4e487779c2 at mail.gmail.com>
            Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd at gmail.com> writes:
: Hi rc folks,
:     I use my Lenovo laptop at work and at home and it's kind of
: annoying to have to do into rc.conf every time I go to work or go home
: to comment out lines choosing an appropriate network for
: ifconfig_wlan0 in rc.conf(5) to connect to the appropriate wireless
: network. So I figured that I'm probably doing something wrong so I
: should ask.
:     The documentation for ifconfig_wlan* in the handbook [1] and the
: rc.conf(5) manpage [2] for 8-STABLE don't suggest that connectivity
: for multiple networks can be performed whereas multiple networks can
: be specified in wpa_supplicant.conf. Is it at all possible to provide
: a precedence list for what SSID networks to attempt to configure via
: wpa_supplicant(8) by default, or are further enhancements required in
: either wpa_supplicant(8) or rc.network to get this to function?
: Thanks,
: -Garrett
:
: 1. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-wireless.html
: 2. http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=rc.conf&sektion=5

wpa_supplicant will allow you to set the order of SSIDs that it
associates with.  It is the order they are in in the
wpa_supplicant.conf file.

What else do you need?

Warner