svn commit: r197145 - in head: etc/defaults share/man/man5

John Hay jhay at meraka.org.za
Thu Sep 17 04:01:07 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 02:59:42PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:

> Hiroki Sato wrote:
> > Author: hrs
> > Date: Sat Sep 12 22:22:31 2009
> > New Revision: 197145
> >
> > Log:
> >   The following changes are added because of
> >   network_ipv6->rc.d/netif integration:
> >
> >   - $ipv6_enable is now obsolete.  Instead, IPv6 is enabled by
> >     default if the kernel supports it, and $ipv6_network_interfaces
> >     is "none" by default.  If you want to use IPv6, define
> >     $ipv6_network_interfaces and $ifconfig_xxx_ipv6.
>
> In general I have a problem with the idea of drastically changing the
> semantics of the current code when I can't see any real value in doing
> so. I object to this change specifically because on my laptop I really
> like having the ability to easily disable IPv6 when I am not on my
> home network.
>
> My preferred scenario would be something similar to what we have now,
> which is that if ipv6_enable is set that it takes the same list of
> interfaces as ipv4 (defaults to AUTO) and that rtadv is enabled by
> default for each of those interfaces. My feeling is that this not only
> significantly reduces POLA it will also more precisely fit the way
> that the vast majority of our users will actually use IPv6.

Can we then have it default to ipv6_enable="YES" and let people who do
not want it, put ipv6_enable="NO" in their rc.conf? Most of the rest
of the world has changed that we and we were also there a few years
ago. (Yes I know because we run ipv6 at work and I can see how many
machines just work without people having to fiddle with it. On the
FreeBSD boxes you still have to go and enable it. :-((( )

John
--
John Hay -- jhay at meraka.csir.co.za / jhay at FreeBSD.org