conf/138460: [patch] start local rc scripts in background

Adrian Penisoara ady at freebsd.ady.ro
Wed Sep 2 15:19:54 UTC 2009

Hi,
On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Doug Barton <dougb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> I object to this patch on at least 2 grounds. First the lack of BEFORE
> in a script does not mean that it is safe to background it. Some other
> script could easily depend on the service directly via REQUIRE, or
> (unfortunately) there could be indirect dependencies that are not
> properly labeled now because we've never needed to label them.
> Personally I actively discourage the use of BEFORE because I think it
> makes it harder to debug ordering problems although it is occasionally
> necessary.
>
> Second it is actually fairly common for locally installed scripts from
> the ports tree at least to depend on each other, and this is not a bug.
>
> The way to approach this would be to add a flag, probably in rc.conf,
> to indicate that it is safe to background a given service. Then
> rc.subr would have to grow support for this but that shouldn't be too
> hard. If you'd like to follow up in that regard you should send a
> message to freebsd-rc at freebsd.org.
>
> Unless someone else really thinks this is a good idea I plan to close
> this PR.

  I think this idea has some (great ?) merit -- almost all modern OS'es are
cutting down on boot times and we should be working on this too.
  It's true that it would take a lot more work than a simple few-lines patch
to do it right, but it's worth working on it, at least personally I intend
to work on this at one point [1].

[1]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/enterprisebsd/+spec/ebsd-rc.d-startup-fix

Regards,