conf/138460: [patch] start local rc scripts in background

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed Sep 2 15:10:05 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR conf/138460; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, villa.alberto at gmail.com,
 freebsd-rc at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: conf/138460: [patch] start local rc scripts in background
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 07:36:43 -0700

 I object to this patch on at least 2 grounds. First the lack of BEFORE
 in a script does not mean that it is safe to background it. Some other
 script could easily depend on the service directly via REQUIRE, or
 (unfortunately) there could be indirect dependencies that are not
 properly labeled now because we've never needed to label them.
 Personally I actively discourage the use of BEFORE because I think it
 makes it harder to debug ordering problems although it is occasionally
 necessary.

 Second it is actually fairly common for locally installed scripts from
 the ports tree at least to depend on each other, and this is not a bug.

 The way to approach this would be to add a flag, probably in rc.conf,
 to indicate that it is safe to background a given service. Then
 rc.subr would have to grow support for this but that shouldn't be too
 hard. If you'd like to follow up in that regard you should send a
 message to freebsd-rc at freebsd.org.

 Unless someone else really thinks this is a good idea I plan to close
 this PR.

 Doug