Removal of deprecation for network_interfaces != AUTO

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Jun 26 02:46:22 UTC 2009

In message: <20090626023526.GA45597 at lor.one-eyed-alien.net>
            Brooks Davis <brooks at freebsd.org> writes:
: > 2. Auto-loading of kernel modules related to the list of interfaces to
: > configure
:
: I continue to believe this "feature" is a mistake.

We've been slowly breaking this feature over the years.  It used to be
that all I needed to do was "dhclient rl0" to load if_rl.ko and run
dhclient on it and only if I didn't have a rl in my box would it
complain.  For a while, other kinds of interfaces were busted due to
some dubious simplifications that were made in ifconfig.

It was added, btw, to have parity with mount, since you could say
"mount -t msdos <etc>" and have it work, even if you forgot to kldload
msdos.ko...

It is more DWIMy than most Unix things, but there's so many things
that Unix has done since the halcyon days of its youth that it is hard
to hold this little bit of dwimness against ifconfig :)

Warner