new service command

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Sun Dec 20 18:24:07 UTC 2009

Doug Barton wrote:
> Howdy,
>
> The idea for a 'service' command was proposed on this list a long time
> ago (sorry, I don't remember by who),
maybe this thread
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports/2009-June/055189.html
> and at the time I was not
> supportive. However I decided to actually give it a try, and found
> that IMO it is actually quite useful. So, I've committed my version of
> the concept to HEAD.
>
> Take a look, give it a try, etc. etc. Comments and feedback are
> welcome. I'd like to get this MFC'ed prior to the 7.3 freeze unless
> there is some kind of objection.

I have something similar on my ToDo list with one improvement (not
implemented yet). I want to be able to distinguish between start/stop
called by user and start/stop command called by system startup process.
What it can be used for?
E.g: if I have some monitoring system trying to restart Apache if it
spontaneously dies, but I don't want to restart it if Apache (or any
other service) was stopped by user, until (re)started again by user or
reboot of the system.

Do you thing it can be useful to more people and implemented in your
'service' command or is it better not to implement it to the base tools?

Miroslav Lachman