rcorder blues

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Wed May 30 07:28:09 UTC 2007

Danny Braniss wrote:
>>> hi all,
>>> 	Under 6.2 I set early_late_divider to amd, and since local_rc
>>> points to an 'automounted directory', rcorder will include the rc-files
>>> from my shared-local/etc/rc.d.
>> In theory there should be nothing wrong with doing this, however amd
>> happens pretty late in the default rcorder, so it is pretty likely
>> that something is going to get rearranged when you start including
>> your local files.
>>
> by removing some dependencies in amd, i managed to get it to run
> earlier - but was not easy, it does depend on many things.

Yeah, I took a quick look, and decided there weren't any quick fixes.

> I don't think it's realistic to expect that by setting/modifying the
> PROVIDE, REQUIRE, and BEFORE list, one can forsee the result :-)
> it's more a wish, and rcoder decides :-)

Unless you create a circular dependency (which it will complain about)
it actually does what you tell it to, the trick is to tell it to do
the right thing. :)

>> Please note that (at least on my system) there is a "mostly harmless"
>> bug in our current ordering that causes the resolv script to be
>> ordered very late without including /usr/local stuff, and first after
>> it is included, which means it is never run on my system. If you see
>> that issue, don't worry about it, it's on the list of things that
>> should be fixed someday, but isn't a priority.
>
> it's not harmless for me, since amd needs hostname :-(
> I added resolv to NETWORK's REQUIRE:.

That's probably a good idea, I'll do some more testing on that and
commit the result if it works.

> BTW, I also added to abi PROVIDE: linux, this way i can have
> some linux depend on it.

I'll let someone more knowledgeable comment on that one. The abi
script is kind of hairy.

Doug