Merging rc.d/network_ipv6 into rc.d/netif

Bruce M. Simpson bms at incunabulum.net
Thu Mar 29 19:55:09 UTC 2007

Mike Makonnen wrote:
> I would
> especially like feedback from folks more familiar with IPv6. One
> gotcha I've noticed is that if you boot with ipv6_enable turned
> off, then try to start IPv6 on an interface later on, it doesn't
> work because none of the interfaces (except lo0) has a link-local
> address (see rc.d/auto_linklocal). How can we fix this? Also, I
> would appreciate feedback on how stopping IPv6 on an interface
> should be handled. In rc.d/network_ipv6 it was handled at all.
> Currently, it goes through and deletes all
> IPv6 addresses on the interface.

I agree. We should be able to add/remove IPv6 link-local addresses
somehow at runtime, after boot, without necessarily bringing up IPv6 on
an interface during boot.

I am thinking at some point it may be for the best if some of the code
to do with address families is restructured so that the administrator is
able to explicitly attach or detach protocol domains e.g. AF_INET,
AF_INET6 to network interfaces on the command line, based on my
experience of making the changes necessary for refcounting of various
network stack structures.

I'd like to get this fixed going forward, though, as ever, other work
takes priority...

Regards,
BMS