rc.order wrong (ipfw)

Mike Telahun Makonnen mmakonnen at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 06:46:18 UTC 2007

Hi guys,

Long time no see :P

I don't have anything to say directly about this issue (other than
that I'm leaning towards Doug's reasoning on this) but I'm working on
a patch to integrate IPv6 handling into rc.d/netif, which might
indirectly have a bearing on this discussion. I'm currently testing
the patch. I'll post it to the list as soon as I'm fairly certain it
doesn't break anything too much. In my patch, IPv6 is configured in
rc.d/netif right after IPv4. In general terms it goes something like
this:
   o General net configuration (cloning, renaming, etc)
   o General pre-IPv6 configuration
   o Get list of all interfaces
   o For each interface:
      - Configure IPv4
      - Configure IPv6
         - Static configuration
         - rtsol
         - aliases
   o General post-IPv6 configuration

I think that up until now the separation of general interface
configuration and IPv6 configuration has complicated the ordering of
routing and firewall scripts. Hopefully, the patch will remove some of
those complications. I'll get back to you with the patch in the next
couple of days.

Cheers,
Mike.