cvs commit: doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/rc-scripting article.sgml

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 4 06:35:31 UTC 2007

Yar Tikhiy wrote:
> yar         2007-03-03 10:11:34 UTC
>
>   FreeBSD doc repository
>
>   Modified files:
>     en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/rc-scripting article.sgml
>   Log:
>   Explain how an rc.d script can use extra command-line arguments.
>
>   Revision  Changes    Path
>   1.9       +138 -0    doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/rc-scripting/article.sgml
>
> http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/rc-scripting/article.sgml.diff?&r1=1.8&r2=1.9&f=h

Yar,

This good stuff, thanks! I have one quibble with the last paragraph.
The shift in rc.subr isn't "apparent" as you phrase it, it's literal:

run_rc_command()
{
     # Don't repeat the first argument when passing additional command-
     # line arguments to the command subroutines.
     #
     shift 1
     rc_extra_args="$*"

I would also put this information in the second paragraph, since as a
first time reader of your piece I had the question very early on. I
would say:

limits). The first command line parameter (start|stop|etc.) will be
shifted out by rc.subr, so what was $2 on the original command line
will become $1, and so on. Therefore the changes in the script itself ...

hth,

Doug