rcNG'ification

Yar Tikhiy yar at comp.chem.msu.su
Sat Mar 3 23:16:59 UTC 2007

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 03:08:16PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
[...]
> The only thing I would add is that you may get better results by
> starting with the subset of ports for which boot order matters that
> are also unmaintained (maintainer=ports at freebsd.org). Of course, the
> obvious advice of make sure you read the documentation
> (http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/rc-scripts.html
> and the link to the rc.d handbook chapter at the top, as well as the
> rc* man pages, and rc.subr) to make sure that you're familiar with how
> these things should be written.
[...]

Can't miss a chance to promote my article on rc.d scripting. :-)

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/rc-scripting/

I spent some time figuring out how different things in rc.d were
related to each other and failed to find that in existing docs,
hence the article.  Perhaps it should be read after the FreeBSD
Handbook chapter, which tells what is rc.d, and after the Porter's
Handbook chapter, which outlines how rc.d is linked with ports.

--
Yar