I need help with Script running as a daemon !!!

Cwalinski, Zygmunt zcwalinski at metroland.com
Mon Feb 5 22:32:10 UTC 2007

Hi,
I am a new user to FreeBSD. All is new for me but I try to learn more
and more everyday.
I have to run a script as a daemon. Nice job for first time user :)
Unfortunately I have to run more sophisticated daemon then this below
but I can't even mange this simple daemon.
Fortunately I have just found this mailing list and I hope I will get
some help from you.

I am trying to run the following script "runtest" as a daemon
while true
do
  sleep 1
done

My daemon script:
-----------------
#!/bin/sh
. /etc/rc.subr
# PROVIDE: Test
# REQUIRE: DAEMON
# BEFORE: LOGIN
# KEYWORD: My test
name="runtest"
pidfile="/var/run/${name}.pid"
rcvar=`set_rcvar`
start_postcmd=runtest_poststart
command="sh /etc/runtest"
command_args="&"
command_interpreter=yes
load_rc_config $name
runtest_enable=${runtest_enable-:NO}

runtest_poststart() {
  echo $! > ${pidfile}
}
run_rc_command "$1"

When I start above daemon I get:
------------------------------------
test# sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/runtestd start
eval: cannot open sh: No such file or directory
[: !=: argument expected
[: sh: unexpected operator
Starting runtest.

and runtest script is running.

Then I try to stop it and I get the following information:
test# sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/runtestd stop
eval: cannot open sh: No such file or directory
[: !=: argument expected
runtest not running? (check /var/run/runtest.pid).

runtest.pid does exists and there is correct process ID for my script

What am I doing wrong?
Please help me with it as I have spent few days already.

Zyggi