conf/104884: Add support EtherChannel configuration to rc.conf

Florent Thoumie flz at FreeBSD.org
Mon Feb 5 18:51:02 UTC 2007

Doug Barton wrote:
> Florent Thoumie wrote:
>> Brooks Davis wrote:

>>> It seems basicly fine and should be useful.  (At least until someone
>>> finally shoots the netgraph part of ng_fec in the head.)  I'd like to
>>> see "" be the offical way to not configure any fec interfaces. gif_up's
>>> use of NO is a mistake (IMO).  It would be OK to allow "NO" as an
>>> undocumented synanim for "".
>>
>> Agreed, as said in my previous post.
>>
>> I think we could just set gif_interfaces and fec_interfaces to "" in
>> -CURRENT and add the "NO" compatibility in RELENG_6 when MFC time comes?
>> That would be a candidate for 7.0 RELNOTES.
>>
>> Does it make any sense to you?
>
> My instinct is to have it the other way around, with "NO" being the
> default, and "" being a synonym. We've trained people that "NO" is the
> way to turn things off with rc, and the one glaring exception to that
> rule (sendmail) has caused an enormous amount of confusion over the years.
>
> Other than that, I have no objections here.

IMHO, it makes sense to have "NO" as opposed to "YES". In this case,
it's a list. So an empty list would be "", but keeping
"NO"-compatibility for the -STABLE branch ensures POLA. At least that's
how I see it.

--
Florent Thoumie
flz at FreeBSD.org